The Writer's Digest Guide to Science Fiction & FantasyBook - 2010
This new edition contains both How to write science fiction and fantasy published in 1990 and The writer's complete fantasy reference published in 2000. The writing guide explains the rules of world construction and story creation specific to science fiction while the fantasy reference discusses the forms of magic, fantasy races, and ancient cultures on which speculative fictional worlds and characters are based. Metal spiral binding inside a hard cover. Annotation ©2010 Book News, Inc., Portland, OR (booknews.com)
Craft an otherworldly experience for your readers!
Do you dream of writing tales that pull readers into extraordinary realms? The Writer's Digest Guide to Science Fiction & Fantasy gives you everything you need to build a fantastic world, inhabit it with original and believable characters, and create an authentic and enthralling story.
Two complete books in one, this comprehensive guide includes invaluable and timeless advice for writing and selling speculative fiction from best-selling author Orson Scott Card'sHow to Write Science Fiction & Fantasy, as well as world-building information and instruction from the indispensable classicThe Writer's Complete Fantasy Reference.You'll discover:
- how to wield story elements that "define" the science fiction and fantasy genres
- ways to build, populate and dramatize fantastic new worlds
- how to construct compelling stories by developing ideas, characters, and events that keep readers turning pages
- historically accurate information about world cultures, legends, folklore and mysticism
- how to authentically portray the rituals of magic and witchcraft
- in-depth descriptions of mythological creatures, fantasy races, clothing, weapons, armor, and more
The boundaries of your imagination are infinite, but to truly hook your reader you must ground your fiction with credible details. Let this book be your guide as you venture into the fantastic and you'll create vibrant, captivating new worlds that spring off the page.